The club range has had varied usage particularly in war times when it became a practice range for military recruits. Today it still sits in the midst of a rural farm owned by the original Calvert Family who were instrumental in the club’s creation.
A remarkable aspect of the club is the lifetime devotion of Mr Stan Prendergast who held the Club Captain’s position for a record 36 years, commencing in 1978 and maintained up until his passing in 2014. In the entire history of the club spanning 98 years, there have only been five Captains.
The Sandford Rifle Club operates on a relaxed social shooting basis. Today the range is shared with the Hobart Target Rifle Club who lost the use of their home range at Pontville in 2007.
Tasmania holds a long tradition of rifle shooting particularly associated with the early days of the 303 Lee Enfield Rifle. Examples can be seen below in a team photo taken around Easter 1950 at Campbell Town rifle range.
The Sandford Rifle Club is an affiliated member of the Tasmanian Rifle Association (TRA) which is one of the oldest sporting bodies in Tasmania having been formed on 17 June 1887.
From the TRA website you can obtain details of all Tasmanian rifle shooting events as well as the eleven clubs and eight ranges that are available within the state.